There is nothing more delicious than homemade bread with a meal! This Homemade Crescent Roll recipe is one that takes a little bit of time but is worth it in the end! It makes enough for our family of seven to have them for dinner and there are plenty of leftovers for the next day’s breakfast or lunch.
1¼ cup warm water
2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
4-5 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bow, combine your warm water, yeast and a tablespoon of sugar. You can read WHY you want this tablespoon of sugar here. Wait for around five minutes or so until your mixture is frothy.
3. Add butter, sugar and egg to the yeast mixture. Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt until combined it’s all combined. Shape into a ball. Cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. I typically will do this on top of my dryer (since it seems I’m always doing laundry ha!) or on my oven that is pre-heating.
4. Divide your dough in half. Roll each half on a floured surface in a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut into equal triangles. You’ll have 12 rolls triangles total. Now t’s time to begin your rolling! You’ll roll from the wider end towards the smaller end.
5. Place your crescent rolls onto a baking pan and cover with a clean, dry towel again. Let your rolls rise for 20-30 minutes or so.
6. Bake the crescent rolls until golden brown. Each oven is a bit different so keep an eye on them. Typically around 15-20 minutes. Once you’ve pulled them out of the oven you’ll want to brush them with a little butter!