This homemade french bread pizza recipe is a budget friendly and filling recipe. The perfect meal to make ahead for a family pizza night or a snack on the go!
These French Bread Pizza Rolls are one of my family’s favorite dinners. You can easily make this recipe into a flat style homemade pizza. Or you can roll the dough up to create individual pizza rolls.
This recipe uses a simple french bread recipe that is easy to make and budget friendly. An easy meal that can be made ahead and enjoyed later on.
Why you’ll love this French Bread Pizza Recipe:
- The dough can be used for a traditional pizza crust. Roll out the easy french bread pizza dough and add your favorite toppings!
- The dough can also be used to create 2 loaves of crusty french bread. Simply roll into a long french bread loaf and bake. You could also roll the loaves even thinner and create several small baguettes.
- The Homemade french bread pizza rolls are perfect to make ahead for busy nights.
- You can freeze individual french bread pizza rolls for quick after school snack for your kids. It’s a great option for a filling after school snack!
- It’s a budget friendly meal. The best part with just a few simple toppings this can be a great meal to fill bellies on a dime.
French Bread Pizza Ingredients
- Yeast: a dry active yeast is what I prefer to use. If you have never used yeast before, don’t be intimidated!
- Flour: all purpose flour works great for this recipe
- Sugar: white sugar is what you’ll use to feed your yeast for this pizza dough recipe
- Oil: I prefer using avocado oil for my baking. But you can use olive oil or whatever oil you prefer to cook with.
- Pizza Sauce: use your favorite pizza sauce or marinara sauce. If you’re in a bind, you could also use spaghetti sauce you might have on hand.
- Mozzarella Cheese: I love using a finely shredded mozzarella cheese for this recipe. Feel free to experiment and use other cheeses like parmesan cheese or fresh mozzarella.
- Toppings: use your favorite pizza toppings for this recipe! Every family has their own desired toppings, so feel free to make the flavors custom for your family!
How to make French Bread Pizza Rolls
Make your French Bread Pizza Dough
Divide the dough in half. Roll the dough out into a rectangle.
Spread your favorite pizza sauce on top.
Place your toppings and cheese onto the rolled out dough.
Roll up the dough like you would a cinnamon roll.
Cut 1 inch slices and place into a greased 9×13 pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
French Bread Pizza Topping Ideas
- Ground Sausage
- Black Olives
- Green Olives
- Red Onion
- Ground Beef
- Basil Leaves
- Red-Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Herbs
Pizza Topping Combinations
- BBQ Chicken Pizza: chopped up rotisserie chicken, bbq sauce, caramelized onions and mozzarella cheese
- Hawaiian: diced ham, chopped pineapple, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese
- Caprese: fresh basil, sliced mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese
- Loaded Supreme: Red peppers, red onion, red pepper flakes, pepperoni slices, Italian sausage, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese
- Classic Pepperoni Pizza: pepperoni, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese
The dough of this recipe can easily be made into a french bread loaf. Simply roll into 2 loaves of bread and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350.
If you prefer a plain pizza, roll the dough out into a rectangle. This recipe will make 2-3 pizza crusts. Put your toppings on and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350.
You can also make a delicious garlic bread pizza. Roll out your dough, spread garlic butter on top, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350
How to store French Bread Pizza Rolls
If you are making your French Bread Pizza Rolls to be eaten later, storing them is simple.
Bake the French Bread Pizza Rolls and let them cool completely. Then place tin foil over the top of the pan and pop it into the fridge.
How to reheat French Bread Pizza Rolls
To reheat your stored French Bread Pizza Rolls, simply take your pan with tin foil out of the fridge and place into a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
How to freeze French Bread Pizza Rolls
If you are wanting an easy after school snack for your kids, pull apart the French Bread Pizza Rolls. Place them into a ziploc freezer bag and pop into the freezer.
When it’s time to reheat, pull out an individual French Bread Pizza Roll. Wrap it in a paper towel and reheat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds (or until warmed through).
French Bread Pizza Recipe
French Bread Pizza Dough Recipe
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 5-6 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or whichever oil you prefer)
- Pizza Sauce
- Favorite Pizza Toppings
- Mozzarella Cheese
- In a mixing bowl add your warm water, yeast and sugar. You want your water to be warm enough for the yeast to come "alive". Stir the yeast and sugar until they dissolve into the warm water. Then set aside for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
- If your yeast and water mixture has a bubbly film on top, then you can proceed with the rest of the recipe. If not, then dump out the water and yeast mixture and start over. Your yeast needs to be activated in order to have fluffy pizza dough.
- Add in your salt, oil and 5 cups of flour. I prefer to use my kitchen-aid mixer, but you can also mix this dough by hand.Mix until the flour is incorporated into a ball of dough.
- Slowly sprinkle in the 6th cup of flour. You may not need all of it. Your dough will want to be stretchy and not super sticky. Mix in the 6th cup of flour until your dough is no longer sticky.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and roll it into a rectangle.
- Spread on your pizza sauce and place your toppings and cheese on top.
- Roll up the pizza dough length wise like you would a cinnamon roll.
- Cut 1 inch pieces and place into a greased 9×13 pan. The number of pizza rolls per pan will vary slightly depending on how much dough you ended up with and how thick your slices are. You can squeeze as many pizza rolls into a pan as you want!
- Bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes. You'll want the tops to be browned and the middle pizza rolls to be cooked through completely.