A healthy twist on the traditional deep fried pickles. Delicious dill pickle slices that are coated in panko bread crumbs and spice, then baked in the oven until they’re crispy and delicious. Pair with a homemade Cilantro Ranch and you’ve got a delicious appetizer.
These oven baked pickle chips are a healthier version of a traditional fried pickle. You get amazing flavor without all of that extra greasy fat from fried pickles.
The panko bread crumbs give your oven baked pickles that perfect crunch. This is a recipe that all pickle lovers will find themselves craving!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- A healthy makeover of the traditional fried pickle recipe
- A fun appetizer to serve
- An easy recipe to make with your kids
- The flavor of the oven fried pickles paired with the cilantro ranch makes this a crowd favorite
- Simple ingredients that you might already have in your pantry
- Fun finger food
Tell me about this Oven Baked Fried Pickle Recipe
- Flavor: the mix of spices paired with the worcestershire and hot sauce give these pickles the perfect zing.
- Texture: The panko crumbs under the broiler give these oven baked fried pickles the crunch and crispy coating you would get if they were fried.
- Ease: Because you’re not frying these pickles, the clean up and preparation is fairly easy. There is no cleaning up a vat of oil.
- Time: You can quickly whip out several batches in a 40 minute time frame. Make as many or as few as you need.
- Pickle slices or Chips: I use dill pickles for this recipe. But feel free to experiment with other types of pickles.
- Eggs: the eggs will make the egg wash in which you’re able to coat the fried pickles.
- Flour: all purpose flour is ideal, but you can also use your preferred choice of flour (like almond flour)
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot Sauce: a dash of hot sauce will make this recipe have a tasty kick!
- Garlic Powder
- Cajun Seasoning: if you don’t have any cajun seasoning, you can also use cayenne pepper
- Panko Bread Crumbs
Instructions (full recipe below)
Turn the oven broiler on high
Drain your pickles and place them into a bowl.
Whisk together eggs and all purpose flour
Whisk in seasonings
Place panko bread crumbs into a shallow dish
Dip pickles into the egg mixture and then the panko bread crumbs
Place coated pickles on a cookie sheet or large baking sheet
Broil for 3 minutes. Flip the pickles over and broil the other side for 3 minutes until they’re golden brown
Cilantro Ranch Dipping Sauce
If you want a delicious ranch dressing to pair with your Oven Baked Pickles, I suggest this Cilantro Ranch Dipping Sauce. This is our of our favorite recipes to pair with the Oven Fried Pickles.
1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
1 Cup Mayo
Handful of Cilantro (more or less if you like. It’s up to your personal preference)
1 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1 Clove Garlic
In a bowl mix your Italian seasoning, buttermilk and mayo together.
In a food processor mix your cilantro, garlic and onions together until there are no more chunks.
Add in half of the buttermilk/mayo mixture to your food processor.
Blend again. Then pour it back into the rest of your buttermilk and mayo mixture.
Give it a good stir.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
The longer it’s in the fridge the better the flavors get
Remember…the best part is that you can just keep adding and tasting as you go!
Oven Baked Fried Pickles
- 1 jar pickle slices
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
- Turn oven broiler on high.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and flour. Add Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, and pepper. Mix well.
- Place panko bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Dunk each pickle slice into the egg mixture, than dredge it in the panko bread crumbs.
- Place coated pickles on a rack set above a baking sheet and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Place pan in the middle rack of the oven.
- Broil for about 3 minutes on each side.