This no fuss Instant Pot Lasagna has hearty meat sauce, tender pasta and delicious cheese. All the flavors of a classic lasagna recipe without the fuss of having to layer everything and ready in just 45 minutes. A true comfort food that the whole family will love!
If you’re in a season of life where you are needing easy meals that are budget friendly, then you’ll be glad to know this is the easiest lasagna recipe ever! I love it because you’re able to skip all the time consuming layers that a traditional lasagna recipe has.
This Instant Pot Lasagna recipe combines all the classic flavors of the traditional lasagna recipe, but cuts the prep and baking time in half.
If you’re new to using an Instant Pot, you can read my Beginner’s Guide to using the Instant Pot here. It will walk you through everything you need to know when it comes to using your Instant Pot.
This is the Instant Pot that I have and love for our family of 10.
Why you’ll love this Easy Instant Pot Lasagna Recipe
- Quick and Easy: You won’t be spending time making sure you have an even layer of all of your ingredients.
- One Pot Dish: there is nothing better than creating your entire dinner in one pot. No need to dirty up a million different dishes and be scraping the bottom of a lasagna pan.
- Budget Friendly: using staple ingredients you probably already have at home, this dish is incredibly budget friendly
- Belly Filler: if you have a house full of hungry bellies, the layers of hearty meat sauce, tender lasagna noodles and gooey mozzarella cheese will fill those tummies right up!
- Ground beef: you can use any ground meat that you have on hand. We typically will use ground venison, but you can also use Italian sausage, ground turkey or ground chicken. The browned bits from whatever meat you are browning will add extra delicious flavor to your lasagna.
- Red onion: feel free to substitute for a white onion or yellow onion
- Minced Garlic: freshly chopped is always the best, but if I’m in a real hurry I’ll used the minced garlic in a jar. If you’re in a pinch and don’t have minced garlic, you could also substitute with a teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Spaghetti sauce: you can use your favorite kind of spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce for this recipe
- Water: feel free to substitute for chicken broth for even more layers of flavor.
- Lasagna noodles
- Mozzarella: I prefer using a finely shredded mozzarella (it makes the perfect gooey cheese). You can also add in a few tablespoons of ricotta for a creamy ricotta filling.
- Cottage cheese: if you don’t have cottage cheese, you can also substitute for ricotta cheese. You could even do half cottage cheese and half ricotta cheese for a yummy ricotta mixture.
- Dried oregano: feel free to use a traditional Italian seasoning in exchange for the dried spices in this recipe.
- Dried parsley
- Dried basil
- Black pepper
You could easily substitute other noodles for the broken up regular lasagna noodles. I would suggest using a thicker pasta like a bowtie pasta.
Add a little heat to the instant pot lasagna by swapping ground Italian sausage for the ground beef.
Add a little more water to create an easy lasagna soup.
Add a few spoonfuls of ricotta cheese to create dreamy layers of creamy ricotta throughout.
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in your Instant Pot. Use the saute function (button) to brown. You want your ground beef to be browned and your onions and garlic to be translucent.
- Add in your dried oregano, dried parsley, dried basil, salt and pepper.
- Drain fat if needed
- Pour in spaghetti sauce
- Add in noodles
- Pour in water
- Place lid on Instant Pot
- Manually set the Instant Pot to 4 minutes
- Quick release pressure
- Add in cottage cheese and stir together
- Sprinkle mozzarella
- Serve this Instant Pot Easy Lasagna with a green salad on the side
- You could also serve this with some garlic bread to either eat on the side or dip into your lasagna
What You Could Add:
- Bell Peppers: if you want to add in a little extra flavor, add some diced bell peppers to the ground beef and onion mixture.
- Fresh Spinach: if you’re trying to add in a little bit of greens, a few handfuls of chopped spinach added to the Instant Pot before you start cooking is a great way to sneak in vegetables.
- Red Pepper Flakes: if you want to add a little kick to your dish, sprinkle in a few red pepper flakes.
- Ricotta Cheese: add in a few tablespoons of ricotta cheese for extra cheesy lasagna.
- Extra layer of lasagna noodles: if you have noodle lovers in your house like I do, I like to add a few more noodles to the pot. If you do this, make sure to add an extra cup of liquid for them to cook in.
Other delicious Instant Pot Recipes you might like:
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Mexican Pinto Beans
- Thick Beef Stew
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles
Instant Pot Lasagna
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 large red onion finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce 25 oz
- 3 cups water
- 1 box lasagna noodles broken up
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot.
- Add in your ground beef, red onion and garlic. Sauté until the meat is browned.
- Add your dried oregano, dried parsley, dried basil, salt and pepper to the browned meat.
- Drain any fat from your ground beef if needed.
- Pour in the spaghetti sauce and mix together with the ground beef.
- Pour the broken up lasagna noodles on top of the meat and sauce mixture.
- Pour the water on top of the noodles. Do not stir once the water has been added.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and manually set to 4 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure (do not let it naturally release). Make sure to use a rag when releasing the pressure so you don’t burn your hand.
- Add in the cottage cheese. Stir all of the ingredients together.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of the pasta and place the lid back on.
- Let the cheese melt on top of the lasagna for 5 minutes and then serve!