This Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a fluffy, light, delicious pumpkin sheet cake with a decadent cream cheese frosting! Sheet cakes are always a great option for a crowd because they are so simple to make, and this one does not disappoint. It is a perfect, easy option for a Thanksgiving dessert that comes together from start to finish in under an hour.
It’s no secret that one of my favorite things is Thanksgiving. I love the time spent being with family and friends, remembering all that we have to be thankful for. And a perfect fall dessert always includes pumpkin or at least pumpkin flavor–the best flavor if you ask me! Give me all things pumpkin, am I right?!
I always try to make the holidays special for my crew, and I love having homemade baked desserts to have on hand and serve. This pumpkin dessert recipe is definitely one that will be on heavy rotation at my house this Thanksgiving season. Sheet cakes are a great option for us because they are so simple and feed a large amount of people.
This Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a perfect holiday treat for the fall season because you can make them ahead of time and simply store them in the fridge until you need them. This also makes a great dessert to be able to travel easily with, making this a great take along dessert!
If you have a large family like me, or are planning on hosting for Thanksgiving, you need to make this recipe! Thanksgiving can be a hectic time, and so adding simple but delicious recipes into the mix is a necessity and a gift–both to you and your family. I am telling you, this is the best pumpkin sheet cake, I promise it won’t disappoint.
If you love pumpkin desserts as much as I do, be sure to check out my Pumpkin Bar, Healthy Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin Pancake Recipe using Pancake Mix, and Pumpkin Muffins recipes.
Ingredients in Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Flour – All purpose flour is the best flour for this recipe, as it will give you the cakier texture you need. If you would like to make this gluten free, substitute your favorite one-for-one gluten free baking flour blend.
- Baking Powder – Baking powder is essential to getting the right texture for your cake. It is a leavening agent, meaning it helps the baking mix to rise well.
- Salt – Salt is an important recipe in baking because it helps to enhance the flavors of the ingredients, meld them together, and balance the sweetness.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is such a classic spice to mix with pumpkin. It’s a must and the base of the classic pumpkin pie spice mix. You can also use pumpkin pie spice instead of these spices if that’s all you have on hand.
- Nutmeg – Nutmeg is warm and earthy and is a classic spice that is found in pumpkin pie spice mix.
- Cloves – Cloves are also a traditional spice in pumpkin pie spice. Its spicy addition helps make the classic spice that goes with the pumpkin so well.
- Eggs – Eggs are important because they help to bind together the rest of the ingredients to give you the perfect texture. You’ll need two for this recipe.
- Sugar – Can’t have cake without sugar, right? I like to use unbleached cane sugar.
- Oil – Oil is one of my favorite places to make healthy swaps in baking. Avocado oil and olive oil are my two favorite choices. Some people have used melted coconut oil as an oil choice as well, though I have not, but could be worth a try!
- Pumpkin Puree – You can’t have pumpkin cake without pumpkin! Canned pumpkin is a great and easy option for this recipe. Budget tip: grab cans of pumpkin puree throughout the year as they are on sale and stock up! Having several cans of pumpkin already on hand during the Thanksgiving season is a game changer. Canned pumpkin is considered pantry staples in my house! You can also use fresh pumpkin puree if you have it!
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract gives both your cake and frosting a deeper, more complex flavor than without.
- Cream Cheese – Cream cheese makes a delicious base for this frosting, making it creamy and decadent. I love a good homemade cream cheese frosting!
- Butter – Butter is an important element in frosting to create a smooth frosting.
- Powdered Sugar– the powdered sugar makes the cream cheese frosting deliciously sweet!
Directions on Making Pumpkin Sheet Cake
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
Grab a 9×13 or 8×11 pan size baking dish and grease or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine your flour, baking powder, salt, and all your spices until mixed well. Set aside
In a large bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together eggs, sugar, oil, pumpkin, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Pour batter into your greased or lined baking dish.
Place your cake into the center of your oven and bake for about 25 minutes (until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan. If you’d rather remove it from the pan, you can let it rest for ten minutes, then loosen the edges with a butter knife, and carefully dump onto wire rack.
While the cake is cooling, in a separate bowl, add the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract and, using a hand mixer or electric mixer, beat together until smooth.
Add in the powdered sugar and beat smooth to make a delicious cream cheese frosting.
When your cake is completely cool, spread a layer of icing over the top.
Sprinkle with a little pumpkin pie spice for garnish. Slice and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you should keep this refrigerated before serving if you make ahead, as well as any leftovers.
This Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting should be refrigerated when not being served. You can easily cover with aluminum foil before putting in the fridge.
This Pumpkin Sheet Cake will last up to five days when stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Yes, you can freeze this cake! It will stay good for up to three months in an airtight container in the fridge.
Delicious pumpkin desserts are all over the internet during this time of year! I hope that you will take the time during this pumpkin season, to take a try at this easy pumpkin sheet cake and its sweet cream cheese frosting! I think this soft pumpkin cake will be one of the best things about your fall season!!
Be sure to let me know what you think and how much your family enjoys eating this pumpkin spice sheet cake!!
Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ⅙ tsp Cloves
- 2 Eggs
- ⅔ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Oil
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 4 oz Cream Cheese Room temperature
- 5 tbsp Butter Room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and spices
- Set aside
- In a larger mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, oil, pumpkin, and vanilla
- Stir in dry ingredients until just mixed
- Pour into a greased or parchment lined 9×13 or 8×11 inch baking pan
- Bake in center of oven for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan, or if you’d rather remove it from the pan, let it rest 10 minutes, loosen edges with a butter knife, and then carefully dump onto a cooling grid
- While the cake is cooling, beat icing ingredients together until smooth
- When cake is completely cool, spread with a layer of icing