These Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are a delicious chocolate muffin that is packed with moist zucchini throughout. They are so delicious, your crew won’t believe they are eating something that’s so healthy! The shredded zucchini makes these muffins so moist, and you can’t even tell that these are veggie muffins which is the best way to get my whole family to eat zucchini!
If you have never tried using zucchini in baking, you are missing out! I don’t know about you, but I love to sneak healthy things into my crew as often as I can, especially when I have garden zucchini to use up! Zucchini season can produce so many zucchinis, so these chocolate chip zucchini muffins are just a dream–the perfect balance of healthy and tasty, so great for busy mornings!
This Chocolate Zucchini Muffins recipe are light and fluffy, moist, and so deliciously chocolatey. The combination of cocoa powder and chocolate chips gives a full, rich chocolate flavor without an overpowering sweetness. Even the pickiest eaters of my crew love these and will request them so often!
I love to make a double batch of these healthy zucchini muffins whenever I do make them, so that I have yummy, healthy options on hand for afternoon snacks and breakfasts throughout the week. Such a great recipe!! They are such a hit in my house, I know they will be in yours, too!
How to Make Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Line your muffin tin with muffin liners and set aside.
- For best results, use a grater and shred your fresh zucchini. You don’t have to peel it, and you can grate your zucchini to your own preference, as thick or thin as you’d like! The thinner you grate it, the less noticeable it will be in the muffins. I like to place the grated zucchini in a paper towel and gently press to release a little excess moisture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients–flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Mix until fully combined.
- Next, mix in your wet ingredients–butter, eggs, and vanilla extract until a smooth muffin batter forms.
- Add in your zucchini and mix just until combined. Repeat with your chocolate chips, being sure not to overmix, as it will affect the integrity of the batter! Note: This recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use any sort that you like! Milk chocolate or white chocolate chips would be delicious as well.
- Use a spoon or a cookie scoop to fill each muffin cup ¾ of the way with your batter.
- Place muffin pan in your oven and bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out cleanly from the centers.
- Allow to cool, serve, and enjoy!
I like to put leftovers is a freezer bag for that time of the year when you need a quick breakfast already premade from the freezer. One of my favorite things is working smarter, not harder, and if that means making extra so I have an extra breakfast another day, then I for sure make the effort!
Ingredients in Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Flour: This recipe calls for all purpose flour. If you want to try wheat flours, I would try half wheat and half all purpose! I have yet to try it with oat flour, so if you do, be sure to share with me how they turn out! To make these muffins gluten free, substitute with your favorite one-to-one gluten free baking flour blend. You’ll need one cup for this recipe.
- Zucchini: Shredded zucchini is the hidden star of this recipe! It’s what adds so much extra moisture and an extra hint of sweetness, but totally blends into the background and allows the chocolate to take center stage! And, zucchini is packed full of nutritious vitamins and minerals. You’ll need 1 ½ cups for these muffins.
- Cocoa Powder: Unsweetened cocoa powder gives the rich chocolatey flavor to these muffins. You’ll need ½ cup.
- Chocolate Chips: I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you are free to use your favorite type! Mini chocolate chips, milk chocolate, white chocolate, or dark chocolate chips are all great options. I always like to add extra chocolate chips on top too! To make this recipe dairy free, use dairy free chocolate chips! You’ll need one cup.
- Baking Soda: As a leavening agent, baking soda encourages a light and fluffy texture, and helps your muffins to rise. You’ll need one teaspoon for these muffins.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder helps to give these muffins the right texture, and to rise well. You’ll need one teaspoon for this recipe.
- Salt: Salt is an important ingredient because it helps to enhance the flavors and balance the sweetness! You’ll need ½ teaspoon.
- Eggs: You’ll need two eggs to bind and help these muffins bake perfectly.
- Sugar: I like to use unbleached cane sugar for this recipe, but regular granulated sugar will work great too or you could try coconut sugar if you are wanting to make it even healthier. You’ll need one cup.
- Butter: Butter helps to create a light and airy texture in these muffins, and just makes them so tasty! You’ll need ½ cup of melted butter for this recipe.
- Vanilla: Vanilla gives these muffins a deeper, more complex flavor than without. You’ll need one teaspoon.
I think you are definitely going to want to try these Chocolate Zucchini Muffins as a healthy breakfast option for your family soon. They are just so tasty, I am sure even your pickiest eaters will love these. They are a great alternative to just plain chocolate chip muffins!
I hope you love them as much as we do! You can never go wrong with delicious tender muffins any time of year! What are some of your favorite zucchini recipes?! I would love to hear what you do with your abundance of zucchini!
PIN FOR LATER
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup Flour
- ½ cup Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- ½ cup Butter melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups Zucchini shredded
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin liners in a muffin pan. Set aside.
- Use a grater to shred zucchini. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Mix in butter, eggs and vanilla extract well. Set aside
- Mix zucchini into muffin batter until just combined. Then add chocolate chips.