Protein Overnight Oats are a delicious high protein alternative to traditional overnight oats, thanks to the addition of protein powder and nut butter. It’s a simple, make-ahead, and delicious breakfast option, and a great way to start your day! They are a delicious, go-to healthy breakfast that both my kids and I very much enjoy during the warmer months.
I love making hearty breakfasts for my kids in the mornings to start our day off well–especially the delicious, warm, home-cooked kind. But here in Texas, the summers are hot and the last thing I want to do is stand over a hot stove to start out our day and make our house even warmer!
Even though I’m serving them a cool breakfast option, it’s important to me to find recipes that are still nutritious and full of protein to fill their bellies and give them a strong start to their day. This breakfast recipe does the trick!
That is why I love Protein Overnight Oats! They are filling, nutritious, and budget-friendly, and don’t require me to turn on the stove. And the fact that I can prepare them the night before makes it even better! Who doesn’t love easy recipes?! I also love how versatile they are and the fact that my kids can customize with the toppings of their choice, allowing one recipe to be exciting for lots of different taste buds!
The best part about Protein Overnight Oats is not only are they a filling make-ahead breakfast option, but the fact that you prepare them in a glass mason jar with lids makes them the perfect take-along breakfast. They are perfect for busy mornings, and can be eaten on the go just as easily as at home!
Why You’ll Love these Protein Overnight Oats
- Each jar (or serving) contains over 20 grams of protein
- These overnight oats come together in just a few minutes of meal prep
- This recipe calls for simple ingredients, and is a great budget-friendly option
- They are a great, hearty option for on-the-go and warmer months
- You make them ahead of time, and they can last up to several days in the fridge
- They are customizable with your favorite types of toppings, making one recipe work for lots of different tastes
- This is a gluten-free recipe (just make sure your oats are gluten free), and can be easily adapted to be dairy free and nut free (just sub plant-based milk and sunbutter for peanut butter)
Ingredients for Protein Overnight Oats
- Old Fashioned Oats – Overnight oats serve as the base of this recipe, making it a nutrient-dense and affordable breakfast option. Be sure to use old fashioned oats and not instant oats or else it will not set correctly.
- Pure Maple Syrup – Maple syrup is such a great alternative to traditional sweeteners, due to both its health benefits and complexity of flavor.
- Milk – Milk is a must! It’s what helps turn the old fashioned oats into overnight oats and gives it the creamy texture. To make this recipe dairy free, substitute your favorite non-dairy milk like with almond milk or coconut milk.
- Vanilla Protein Powder – Protein powder is the not-so-secret ingredient in this recipe that makes it so hearty and fulfilling. I recommend using your favorite type of protein powder so that the flavor is one that you love, as the flavor does come through with the oats. If you are wanting to make this dairy-free or vegan, you can use a plant-based one or they have vegan protein powder options out there. If you don’t have vanilla on hand, chocolate will also be delicious!
- Peanut Butter – Peanut butter adds even more protein to this dish, and also adds to the creaminess. My personal favorite is a natural, no-stir option, but your favorite brand will do!
- Optional Toppings – Some toppings that are excellent, but not necessary, to put this recipe over the top are fresh berries of any kind, sliced almonds, chocolate chips, or an extra dollop of peanut butter.
How to Make Protein Overnight Oats
- Start with a large mixing bowl. Mix together the maple syrup, peanut butter, and milk of your choice, whisking until everything is well incorporated.
- Add in your vanilla protein powder, and stir well.
- Next, add in the old fashioned oats and stir just until fully mixed.
- Pour your mixture evenly into two glass jars with lids. I love using wide mouth mason jars for this! And you can get plastic reusable lids for them, which work great.
- Place the lid on tightly over the glass jar and put in the fridge overnight so it is ready for the next morning (or a few hours at the least).
- When you are ready to eat, take the lid off and add whatever toppings you love most. My personal favorite toppings are some fruit and an extra dollop of peanut butter!
This oat recipe is a great source of protein. Due to the protein powder and nut butter, it is a very nutritious and filling recipe. You can add greek yogurt for even more protein!
Yes, you can! While this recipe calls for vanilla protein powder, using a chocolate protein powder will also be delicious (especially with the peanut butter)!
Overnight Oats on their own aren’t a great source of protein, so adding a scoop of protein powder makes this a great, protein-rich option to start your day.
Each serving contains over 20 grams of protein! And if you add in extra nuts and/or nut butter, it adds even more. This is why I love this healthy overnight oats recipe!
In addition to protein powder, you can add nuts, nut butters, seed butters, chia seeds, milk, and greek yogurt.
Even though the word “overnight” is in the name, you don’t actually have to soak the oats overnight. For best results just a few hours in the fridge will do! But they will also keep in the fridge for several days.
I love that you can make Protein Overnight Oats ahead of time. These oats will stay fresh in the fridge for up to five days. Be sure to store them in an airtight container.
After you try these creamy overnight oats, be sure to add this recipe to your favorite recipe card! I can’t wait to hear how much your family enjoys this simple recipe! Be sure to comment and let me know your favorite part of the protein oats!
Protein Overnight Oats Recipe
- 1 cup Old fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 ½ cup Milk
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
- Sliced Almonds
- Spoonfull of Peanut Butter
- In a bowl mix together the syrup, peanut butter and milk. Whisk until everything is incorporated.
- Add in the protein powder and stir well.
- Stir in the oats until everything is incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into two glass jars with lids. Place the lid on and put in the fridge overnight (or for a few hours)
- Top with the toppings of your choice and enjoy!