This Simple Blueberry Muffin Recipe has been in our family for years. This easy blueberry muffin recipe yields fluffy, delicious blueberry muffins that will become a staple recipe in your home.
My mom has been making this Simple Blueberry Muffin Recipe for as long as I can remember. Every summer when blueberry season came around, we would go as a family to pick blueberries from a local patch. When we got home we would wash all the blueberries, lay them out to dry on towels on the counter and then pack them up in a freezer bag. Our deep freeze was filled with blueberries that we would enjoy all winter long. My mom would use the blueberries in these Easy Blueberry Muffins, Blueberry Buckle or Pancake Mix Coffee Cake. This recipe has been on my blog for over 14 years and has always been a reader favorite! I love this recipe because it’s a classic blueberry muffin recipe that makes the most fluffy muffins using basic ingredients.
WHAT MAKES THIS SIMPLE BLUEBERRY MUFFIN RECIPE SO SIMPLE
What makes this Simple Blueberry Muffin Recipe so wonderful is that it doesn’t require any fancy ingredients or tools. Chances are you’ll have all the ingredients right in your pantry ready to use (minus the blueberries).
EASY BLUEBERRY MUFFIN INGREDIENTS
- Flour: I use all purpose flour. You can easily use a whole wheat flour, just know it will change the texture of your muffins.
- Sugar: I use white sugar, but you can swap out for your favorite sugar (brown sugar, coconut sugar, course sugar, etc). Again, know that it will change the texture of your muffin.
- Baking Powder: the baking powder in this recipe gives you delicious fluffy and tall muffin tops.
- Salt: don’t forget to add the salt!
- Milk: I prefer using whole milk for this recipe. The higher the fat in the milk, the better they’ll be.
- Egg: room temperature is best.
- Oil: I use avocado oil for my baking. You can swap out for vegetable oil (or your favorite oil) or also melted butter. The oil makes for a fluffier muffin and the butter makes for a denser muffin.
- Vanilla Extract: the vanilla extract makes these the best blueberry muffins
- Blueberries: fresh or frozen blueberries work great for these homemade blueberry muffins. My kids prefer light blueberries in the muffins so I’ll just use a one cup blueberries instead of the recommended two cups. Feel free to add in extra blueberries (or less)!
EXPERT TIP: You can use fresh or frozen blueberries for this recipe. If you’re using fresh, make sure to wash them before adding them into the muffins. If you’re using frozen, do not thaw them out. Just pop them into the batter frozen.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Mix together your dry ingredients
- Mix together your wet ingredients
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Fold in blueberries
- Fill your muffin pan with the batter
- Bake for 15-20 minutes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes! You can use fresh or frozen blueberries in this simple blueberry muffin recipe. In the summer time I’ll use fresh blueberries. Rinse them off and add them right into your batter. If you’re using frozen blueberries, don’t let them thaw! Pop them right into the batter frozen.
It makes a dozen! I love to make a double batch of this recipe (which makes two dozen). We’ll eat a dozen for breakfast and then have the other dozen for an afternoon snack later in the day.
Yes! Just put them into a ziplock bag and pop them right into the freezer.
Yes! If we aren’t inhaling them the same day, I’ll pop them into an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap on the kitchen counter. They’ll stay fresh for a few days.
Absolutely! Just swap out the 1/4 cup of oil for 1/4 cup of melted butter.
No! I actually prefer not using muffin liners. I will wipe the inside of my muffin tins with a little oil and that’s it. You can absolutely use muffin liners if you prefer.
Yes! This recipe makes a dozen regular sized muffins and 2 dozen mini muffins.
No! I prefer to use my favorite Kitchen-aid mixer, but have made these muffins by hand before. The wet batter is super easy to stir with a spatula.
HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY MUFFIN RECIPE VARIATIONS
The base of this recipe is absolutely perfect to use for several different kinds of muffins. If I’m out of blueberries, I’ll do one of the variations I’ve listed below.
- Cinnamon and Sugar Muffins: stir in a teaspoon of cinnamon into the batter. Once your muffins are in the muffin tin, add a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon to the tops of the uncooked muffin batter.
- Jam Surprise Muffins: fill each muffin tin hole half way with plain batter (do not add the blueberries). Add a teaspoon of your favorite jam or jelly into the middle of each muffin. Then top each muffin the rest of the way with more batter. When you bite into the finished muffins, you’ll have a jam surprise inside!
- Chocolate Chip Muffins: if I’m feeling extra fun, I’ll add a cup of chocolate chips to the batter instead of blueberries. My kids love this!
OTHER BLUEBERRY RECIPES
- Blueberry Buckle: a delicious coffee cake that is perfect for the weekend! It takes a little longer to bake, so plan accordingly.
- Pancake Mix Coffee Cake: this coffee cake recipe is an easier version of the Blueberry Buckle. It uses simple ingredients and bakes quickly!
Simple Blueberry Muffins
- Muffin Tin
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 EGG
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or paper liners, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together your milk, egg (the recipe card isn't saving the egg in my ingredients. This recipe calls for ONE EGG), oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently just until combined.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 with the muffin batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until slightly golden brown on the top and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Slather with butter and enjoy!
PIN FOR LATER
It would mean so much if you would take the time to Pin this recipe for later! Thank you for supporting the blog!