This Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake with a crumbly streusel topping is moist, filled with juicy blueberries paired with the perfect amount of sweet.This classic Blueberry Buckle recipe stirs up that comfort-food memory from your grandmother’s kitchen with the cinnamon, butter and brown sugar combination that feels, smells and tastes like home.
What is a Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake?
Blueberry Buckle coffee cake is an old-fashioned, perfect-for-any-occasion dessert made with fresh blueberries, rich butter, and topped with a buttery streusel crumb topping that is to die for. A buckle cake gets its name from the light moist cake batter “buckling” around the berries as it bakes, leaving the perfect combination of moist sweet cake and fresh juicy berries inside.
Why You’ll Love Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake?
- Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake is a simple from-scratch dessert recipe made in under an hour. Basic ingredients combined with a small time investment is always a winner for me!
- It is the perfect reason to have dessert anytime! This recipe can crowd-please for a special breakfast or makes a warm and delicious after dinner treat for your family that everyone will be asking for again–even better paired with vanilla ice cream!
- This recipe just could not be easier! The ingredients are basic pantry items with simple steps. You could call this a simple stir and go dessert!
- Blueberry Buckle cake freezes perfectly and thaws out to be perfectly moist and delicious for a quick dessert out of the patio on a summer night!
Do I have to use Fresh Blueberries?
You can use fresh or frozen blueberries is the best option for this Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake. Fresh blueberries are perfect and juicy in the late spring and early summer. Frozen berries tend to add extra moisture to your batter and can affect bake and rising time for this recipe, as well as change the color of your batter.
If using frozen rather than fresh blueberries, do not defrost your berries before adding to batter, and allow a few extra baking time minutes!
How long does it take to make Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake?
Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake delivers big on satisfying that sweet tooth while not draining your time. You can prep this savory, yet sweet fresh dessert in 10 minutes flat. If you are serving this dish post dinner, you can also mix your batter ahead of time and store in the refrigerator or even overnight to simplify and cut down on time.
Ingredients for Blueberry Buckle
- Flour: All-purpose flour is perfect for this recipe
- Sugar: white granulated sugar
- Oil: You can use vegetable oil or coconut oil depending on your preference.
- Whole Milk
- Baking powder: Don’t forget this simple ingredient! This will help your cake rise to the perfect balance of airy and dense deliciousness.
- Blueberries-fresh or frozen
Ingredients for Crunchy Streusel Topping
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Oats: Old-fashioned or quick oats work well. The oats give your crumb topping crunch and weight.
- Butter- You can soften in the microwave if your butter has been in the fridge simply cut into small cubes and cut in with a pastry cutter prior to mixing your ingredients.
How to Make Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake?
Start this recipe by mixing ALL of your ingredients in a separate large bowl EXCEPT the blueberries. Then add your blueberries into the wet batter by folding them in gently. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and set aside.
Stir all of your dry ingredients together first. Then, add your softened butter (or cut in with a pastry cutter) and mix until the topping becomes crumbly. Sprinkle this crumble topping over your cake batter and pop into the oven!
For best results serve warm or at room temperature.
Can I Double this Recipe?
This blueberry buckle coffee cake recipe makes 6 servings and is baked in a square baking pan (9×9 inch pan). You can easily double this recipe using a 9×13 baking dish or a large casserole dish.
Another baking option is to make this blueberry buckle into a blueberry muffin! recipe! This is such a great way to serve coffee cake at an event or for a crowd.
How Do I Make Sure the Berries don’t sink to the bottom of my Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake?
Fresh blueberries tend to sink to the bottom of most homemade cakes or muffins, so how do we keep them evenly dispersed throughout your cake? Well, blueberries are dense so toss your blueberries in a tablespoon of flour before adding them to the batter. This absorbs some of their juice, making them less dense and able to float better in your batter, or shall we say “Buckle?!”
How should I serve Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake?
Blueberry Buckle is the perfect addition to an afternoon tea time, stellar as a special occasion breakfast, or can be a simple dessert to top off a family dinner. It is also the perfect centerstage treat to be served with fresh whipped cream if you want to add something extra!
Serve warm out of the oven or to enjoy as leftovers for breakfast the next morning with a hot cup of coffee. Either way, no one will be disappointed and will give it a 5 star rating!
Can I Freeze Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake?
YES, this is the best part about this coffee cake! The perfect way is to let your cake cool and then wrap in plastic wrap, and seal in a freezer bag for storage up to 3 months.
Prior to serving, just allow it thaw out overnight on your kitchen counter. When thawed, this fresh blueberry dessert will be just as moist and delicious as the day you made it.
Substitutions and Extras Tips
- Add the zest of a lemon to your batter for an extra bright and fragrant flavor. Lemon pairs excellently with blueberry recipes and will take the flavor of your coffee cake to the next level.
- While blueberries are no doubt scrumptious, you could also add other berries such as chopped apple or even rhubarb. If you do go the apple route, you could add a ½ teaspoon of nutmeg to your tender crumb topping for a warm spicy fall-infused kick!
- Go nuts! While nuts are not in the original recipe of a Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake, chopped walnuts will add extra nutrition and yummy flavor to your cake.
- Vanilla makes everything better! Feel free to drop a little into your batter for sweetness and warmth.
I hope you enjoy this tender cake crumb recipe as much as my family does! Be sure to let me know if you try something other than blueberries sometime! I’d love to see how your family tweaks this recipe!
Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake
- 2 cups Flour
- ¾ cups Sugar
- ¼ cup Oil
- ¾ cup Milk
- 2 ½ tsp Baking powder
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Blueberries Fresh or Frozen
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- ¼ cup White sugar
- ½ cup Oatmeal
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ cup Butter softened
- Combine all your ingredients (flour, sugar, oil, milk, baking powder, salt and egg) except for the blueberries
- Stir until completely mixed together. Then carefully fold in your blueberries.
- Pour into a greased 9×9 pan
- Set aside the cake batter pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, you’ll make the topping mixture. Add the brown sugar, white sugar, oatmeal and cinnamon. Stir until everything is mixed together.
- Add in the softened butter and mix until you have a crumbly topping
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over the cake batter
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes