Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe is such a delicious and easy option! This recipe combines potatoes, lots of delicious dairy, and makes great use of the Instant Pot. They come together with minimal effort and are ready in 30 minutes.
It’s never too early to start thinking about the holidays! Even though we are in the hottest part of the year here in Texas, I’m beginning to plan for the fall and winter seasons. I find it so helpful to be ready ahead of time with some great and easy recipes for when the season gets here! I’m all about finding the easiest way to do things!
And what more traditional side is there than creamy mashed potatoes for the holidays? This potatoes recipe takes this classic dish and makes it even easier!
These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are a perfect addition to most any meat, and come together so quickly. It’s especially helpful when schedules are busy and time feels limited! Plus, the Instant Pot cuts down on prep and cook time so much, it’s great for low-fuss sides and busy evenings.
Making these in our Instant Pot means they are a one pot meal and come together in 30 minutes with just a little effort, perfect for a holiday dinner or busy special occasions!
And even in the heat of summer, who doesn’t love mashed potatoes? I love finding other ways to cook our dinners, like grilling and using our Instant Pot! are a great side to go with all of our favorite grilled meats during the summer, and also
My crew can’t get enough of these fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes, no matter what time of year it is! I have found this is the best way to make this perfect side dish for my family!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Russet Potatoes: Russet potatoes are the best type of potato for this recipe because of their classic taste and starchy texture. They are also very cost effective. If you don’t have them on hand, you can substitute Yukon gold potatoes, though they will have a slightly different consistency, or red potatoes.
- Water: A liquid is always needed when you use the instapot. I recommend using filtered cold water (I use my Berkey for things like this). If you want to add even more flavor, you can use chicken stock instead!
- Salt: Salt is key in this dish to balance and enhance the flavors!
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese adds an extra level of creaminess to this dish. To make this dairy free and/or vegan, replace it with your favorite plant-based brand.
- Butter: What goes better with potatoes than butter? I recommend using salted regular butter.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream adds an extra level of richness to this dish. For a dairy-free option, replace with your favorite plant-based brand.
- Milk: Milk is an essential liquid to give your mashed potatoes the right texture. For a dairy-free option, use your favorite plant-based milk instead. If I have whole milk or heavy cream on hand I love to use those!
- Black pepper: optional and to taste of course
Is the Instant Pot New to You?
If using an Instant Pot is new to use and you aren’t sure how to use it, click here for an Instant Pot Beginner’s Guide. It will walk you through how to use it, safety precautions, and more! There is always a first time for everything, right?!
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Start off by washing and peeling your potatoes.
- Next, cut the potatoes into roughly 2-inch chunks. There’s no need to be very precise, just make sure they are around the same size so they cook evenly.
- Take the cut potatoes and place them into your 6-quart Instant Pot. Pour your cups of water (or you can use chicken broth for a richer flavor) over the potatoes and sprinkle evenly with salt.
- Put the Instant Pot lid on and seal, making sure that the pressure valve is completely closed.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual mode for 11 minutes.
- At the 11 minute mark, use the pressure release. Just be sure not to open the top of the Instant Pot until all of the pressure has released out of the top. You’ll know when it’s done when the hissing stops.
- Open the lid carefully. Do not drain the excess water from the potatoes.
- Add the remaining dairy ingredients (the sour cream, butter, cream cheese, and milk) to the cooked potatoes while they are still in the Instant Pot.
- Mix with a hand mixer or electric mixer until they are smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender
- Enjoy this classic comfort food!
Why You’ll Love these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- The best part is that It is such a simple recipe, and gives you fool-proof, delicious mashed potatoes.
- This recipe is ready from start to finish in 30 minutes, and takes hardly much hands-on time at all. Such an easy addition for weeknight dinners and holiday potlucks. The Instant Pot is the easiest method!
- You can use your own blend of extra herbs to customize the flavors and get creative!
- It is a naturally gluten-free dish, and you can modify it in different ways to be dairy free/vegan pretty easily.
- It’s a great side dish for any time of the year!
Frequently Asked Questions
Cut the potatoes into 2 inch chunks and place them into the Instant Pot for 11 minutes. Once you quick-release the pressure and all the pressure has released, they will be ready for the next step!
After you add the chopped potatoes, you will need to add ½ cup of water (or chicken broth) to cook them!
You can definitely use a little oil instead of butter (I’d recommend olive or avocado), but butter will be the best option to help create the rich, creaminess that you are looking for. You might also consider using a plant-based butter instead, since that will give you a result that is a little closer to butter.
The potatoes cook in the Instant Pot for 11 minutes, and then take a few additional minutes to fully vent the pressure.
You can take the potato skins off or leave them! It’s up to you! I always tend to think the skin has the good stuff in them, but for the creamy texture, I usually peel mine!
Other Instant Pot Ideas
- Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles
- Instant Pot Thick Beef Stew
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Mexican Pinto Beans
- Mouthwatering Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
The next time you are wanting good results with your mash potatoes or running around at the last minute trying to finish your holiday meal, remember this is easy instant pot recipe! I promise it will make your life just a little bit easier!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs Russet potatoes washed, peeled, and cut into 2inch chunks
- ½ cup Water
- 2 ½ tsp Salt
- 4 oz Cream cheese softened
- 5 tbsp Salted butter
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 3 tbsp Milk
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into roughly 2 inch chunks.
- Place the potatoes into the Instant Pot. Pour ½ cup of water over the potatoes and sprinkle the tops with salt.
- Put the Instant Pot lid on and seal. Make sure that the pressure valve is closed completely. Turn the Instant Pot to manual mode for 11 minutes.
- At the 11 minute mark, quick release the pressure. Do not drain any of the liquid. And do not open the top of the Instant Pot until all of the pressure has released out of the top (it will have stopped hissing).
- Add the sour cream, cream cheese, butter and milk to the cooked potatoes. Mix the potatoes with a hand held mixer until they’re creamy.